Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Process "Chinese Paint"



Many of you who follow this blog know that I love to work in series, I will usually render five or six similar images until I get it out of my system, sometimes returning to the pieces to continue "unfinished emotional business" {see "Playing the Martyr"} or because of commisions {see "Small Towns"}.
I've decided in two thousand and eight to start working cumulatively, building on a piece every few days after staring at it for hours, this is the first in that process "Chinese Paint" that will be documented here.
I begin rendering with simply the title of the piece {first pic} and then start to layer over top of it until the themes and images start to flesh themselves out. I'm not sure how long I'll work this way, you do go through alot of paint to get somewhere that may not even be near the end of the finished work, but I promised myself I'd do three and see how I felt.
This is the first.

A.S Hahn


No comments: