Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Done Right Inn Murals

This piece is over a year old, it had been awhile since the pub and I had been able to get the time to do a new mural, I was advised it would be cool to return to the origins of the piece (see explanation below) so the result is also, well, below. The above piece is based on Geof Darrow's Clip art that populates his incredible comic book panels (Hardboiled, Big Guy and Rusty, Shaolin Cowboy) so it's a tribute to his work and looks crazy good all mashed up.
This is the newest edition, "The Return of Troy", a young violin playing orphan from the very first Done Right Inn mural (explained further below) There was some confusion as to the plane having D.R.I on it's body as if I was saying "The Done Right is going down!" or something, I was going to put a dinosaur under the plane like Troy crashed it into the Dino but there wasn't enough room in the composition, sure it's a big wall, but it didn't fit as you can see further down is a bar with stools and that's where his head would've been and no one would've seen it, so another time maybe. I wish I had better shots of this but you get the drift.


(Another shot of the "Darrow" piece, this time with some sun and blurs ! Sorry all.)

I've been painting a mural at the Done Right Inn (Queen West and Trinity Bellwoods) for about six years, maybe more - they used to have a Graffitti artist come in but he always made a mess so I got the job. It's probably the only "Seasonal" mural in the city, repainted four times (yes four!) a year, so there have been about Thirty different pieces in this space since about 1999.It began with a group shot of a female marching band "The Trinity Belles" and eventually the women in the band received names and an expanded story. The figure above is Troy the most popular of the characters, a woman even dressed up as her for Hallowe'en - can you beat that!

I hope to expand the history of this mural considerably on this Blog as it is very close to my heart I just have to secure more photos from the past few years and all the changes it has gone through. If you have photos please submit via email madcraftshoppe@hotmail.com

No comments: