Monday, May 25, 2009

When the Man Comes Around, Images of Death in my work

When the Man Comes Around
unsure of actual size, approx 4 x 14 inches
acrylic on canvas, reclaimed wood frame
SOLD
at the Press Club, 850 Dundas West.

Similarly to the "Field Hand" image (See post below) I wanted to create another image that placed one of the "flying hats" onto a subjects head. I painted the man in black walking away from the viewer and then was stuck as to what it meant, what it meant to me specifically. As luck would have it I was playing music in my studio - which I rarely ever do - and the Johnny Cash song came on. I added some small children's "V" birds to the image and there it was, a towering image of Death striding the land. The Cash song is about the Second Coming, but I just don't have it in me to paint Revelations - maybe next week.

There was never an official video made for the song, but here's a You Tube, it's also used incredibly well in the remake of Dawn of the Dead as the intro music for news reports detailing the Zombie plague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwebUK6Ko4

A.S.Hahn

madcraftshoppe@live.com

No comments: