Monday, May 25, 2009

As seen from the front



I Cannot Tell A Lie (Lady with an Axe series)
12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas
$120.00
Our Lady of the Blackbirds
16 x 16 inches, acrylic on canvas
$160.00
at the Press Club, 850 Dundas West.

These could be placed in the "Silver" series very easily, both use similar subject matter to two of the pieces from the series, both of which were very popular for different reasons. The Lady with an Axe pieces had a visceral/power response from viewers, while "Woman with Crows" was seen as more majestic.
This may sound silly, but after situating my subjects on empty beaches and fields I've started moving them in from the coast and away from the prairies into forests full of trees, the above is the first of these explorations.
Though in poor focus (mostly deliberate) the figure's intense eyes focus on something that is not too far away from the reach of her axe, I thought the title said it all.
With the second piece I was trying to capture a feeling of motion in the birds, that they are exploding in flight around her, also, I want to make an effort with the next few pieces to keep the work loose, I don't want things to look too worked over and refined and just want to "daub" the painting on in "pellets" of colour to give it a more mosaic/motion/shadow feeling.
A.S.Hahn

No comments: