Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Hallowe'en

Two Black Cats
12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas
$120.00

It's Saturday the 31rst and that can only mean one thing, a general feeling of indifference towards Hallowe'en, now don't get me wrong Shoppers, I love the imagery, I love the spirit and the creativity, I love horror movies more than anything, you'd think it would be something that I would throw myself into. I just don't feel motivated to dress up, not for a few years now. A dear friends of mine used to host our yearly Hallowe'en parties, they'd have headstones with our names on them (a la Simpsons credits), they won "best decorated" awards and I think their house was featured on CP24.

Everyone really went all out for those parties, I prefer the memories.

I've had some memorable costumes myself, ones that people still talk about this time of year, Man With A Giant Ass, Baby Shay, Covered In Bats!, being the three most popular. Every year I say, "I'll make something great for this year." and then I don't, there's no shortage of parties and bars to go to, I have a house full of bits of wood and cloth and toys and masks, but I get so busy painting for the November show at the Cameron (which is now December at the Press Club) that I can't be bothered or that I just feel pretty burnt out and find it hard to move my energies into creating a costume.

I love to see photos of my friends kids' dressed up, love to see groups of folks go wandering by, adore the slutty outfits worn by the brave woman who aren't afraid of the weather, etc. etc. So I would like to wish you all a very Happy Hallowe'en, look forward to seeing the photos.

A.Shay Hahn

madcraftshoppe@live.com


No comments: