Friday, January 08, 2010

Proof that just about anything fits in a cup.



A Cup of Rockets
A Cup of Siberian Huskies (commission)
both pieces 12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas
reclaimed wood frame
A Cup of Rockets will be at the Press Club on Sunday Jan 10.
Hello and Happy New Year, awhile back on fb I asked people to suggest things that might be put in a cup (see above, past posts, "A Cup of Wolves, Blackbirds, Crows, Falcons) two great answers from actor/playwright Marjorie Chan were Antique Keys and Violins, which I plan on doing some time in the new year. I came up with the above image and also "A Cup of Stooges", which just makes me laugh every time I think about it.
There is something interesting about the image, I began thinking about my relationship to coffee, the routine, the pleasure, the feeling when you drink too much coffee. I'm sure we all have stayed up late working on something with a pot on a realizing that it wasn't making us any smarter.
I have friends who are definitely connoseurs (sp) of the stuff, who travel great lengths for unique blends and concoctions, I'm glad they found a vice they like. Toronotonians seem to never leave the house without one in their hand, years ago in Now magazine there was a comic strip called, "The City" one memorable strip was "the Next Stage in Evolution" which depicted our thumb and pointer finger merging together into an ideal cup holder to carry our coffee.
I myself am satisfied with just about any brand, I don't often buy the stuff at coffeeshops, I think Starbucks tastes burnt/over roasted, The Second Cup tastes oily and Tim Hortons tastes dry and overprocessed. I also think that people who sit in cafes with their laptops need to get a life.
If you'd like to commission your own "Cup of..." for yourself or a friend, please feel free to contact me at the address below.
The show at the Press Club is up until the 30 th of January, so there's still lots of time to go and check out the work, you can also request to meet me there to discuss the show.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments: